Thursday, January 22, 2015

The "30 Before 30" List and Story

Back in November, I traveled to Washington, DC for an English conference.  While there, my friend, Emily, wanted to meet up with one of her friends who lived there.  We had a wonderful dinner.  Her friend, Melanie, had just turned 30 and spoke about doing a "30 Before 30" list.  I fell in love with this idea and instantly started thinking of things I wanted to do.

I edited and changed the list about ten times before I really liked what I had written.  I told several friends my list and they gave suggestions and commented on what they thought.  I was excited to begin this journey, and I knew I only had about a year and a half to accomplish all of it.

I wanted to list things that I had always wanted to do...but within reason.  I marked out skydiving and hot air balloon riding because of the crazy cost to do it, but kept simple things like Zumba and gathering stuff for Goodwill.  As my friend, Lindsey, said...I have a big range of items!

Here's the list:

1. Run a 5k

2. Visit New York City

3. Visit and explore the DC Smithsonian museums

4. Bungee jump

5. Go white water rafting

6. Ride every roller coaster at an amusement park

7. Explore 3 new cities (already one down!)

8. Read 50 books (began on 12/2014 - I'm on my 8th one!!)

9. Take a dance class

10. Write 50 notes of gratitude (2 completed)

11. Bake a cake and pie from SCRATCH

12. Hike a scenic trail

13. Swim through a natural waterfall

14. Have one truly "wild night out"

15. Write and post in personal and educational blog at least 2 times a month (beginning 1/2015)

16. Fill out and complete personal journal (started in 2010 and only 1/2 way through it...finishing that sucker!!!)

17. Perform in a karaoke bar

18. Take a fun class (cake decorating...knitting...scrapbooking...photography?)

19. Read the Bible cover to cover

20. Watch the sunrise over the ocean

21. Take 3 LARGE bags of items to Goodwill

22. Host a dinner party

23. Pay off at least one credit card

24. Go to a Zumba class

25. Attend an awesome concert

26. Visit a psychic

27. Take a multi-state roadtrip

28. Lose 68 lbs

29. Get a tattoo

30. Make a move of some kind!  (not necessarily location, but something different!)

I'll keep you posted.  I'm excited to mark off several items on the list off this summer.  Already have some plans in the works!  Carpe diem!!

1 comment:

mombarrier said...

Please allow me to do a few of these things with you. One could be visiting New York. You know I went there with Laura Gwynn and had a ball. We could take Yang with us because she has two sons that live in New York. Please invite your sister and me to join you on one of your adventures. Another one could be a really wild night out!!!! Take you to male stripper joint or something wild like that! I love you my Coley girl!

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...