Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Blackbird Tattoo Story

I don't think anyone really thought I would do it...myself included.

I was sitting in the chair, looking at the needle, stencil drawn on my arm, and thought to myself, "What in the hell have I done?"

There was no backing out at that point.  I said I was going to do it...and I did it.  I got a tattoo.

A couple months ago, I started a "30 Before 30" bucket list and wrote down things that I wanted to do before I turned 30 (post to follow with complete list!!).  For years I've talked about getting a tattoo, but never went through with it.  I found excuses not to get it.  When the new year rolled around and I started making an "improved me" with diet and exercise, I felt empowered and decided to do it.  To really do it.  Go get that tattoo.

I think one of the reasons I waited so long to get a tattoo was because I couldn't decide what I wanted permanently inked on my body.  As my friend Lindsey pointed out (after sending a group text stating I was getting one), "You know that nothing lasts as long as forever, right?"  And I definitely agree.  I had told myself a long time ago that if I were ever to get a tattoo, it would have to be something incredibly meaningful.

I was reading one night and came across the scripture that said, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside of your Father's care. And even the very numbers on your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29-31).  I love that scripture.  I also love the hymn "His Eyes Are on the Sparrow".  For a long time I decided on a sparrow.

Not completely straying from the bird theme, a couple months later I saw a drawing of 3 blackbirds sitting on a branch.  I was drawn back in memory to one of my all time favorite songs, "Blackbird" by The Beatles.  The Beatles have gotten me through some tough times.  My love for them is deep.  They remind me of my dad and all the times we listened to classic rock when I was young.  I was reminded of the lyrics:

Blackbird singing in the dead of the night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Ahh...love.

I knew then that I wanted a branch of blackbirds.  To symbolize the power of song, the beauty of lyrics, the words that are so perfect for me right now.  Learning to take what's broken in me and fly into positive success.


I decided on four birds to represent my mom, dad, sister, and me.  Always together.  

It was a great experience!!  I went to Golden Spiral Tattoo in Greensboro.  The artist who did my tattoo was super nice, really calm, and totally reassuring with my nerves!!  My friends, Lexie and Lindsey, accompanied me and were supportive as well.  Marked one off the bucket list!!

It's still so weird to look down and see it.  However, each time I look down, I'm reminded of my journey, my family, and my faith in restoring all things broken.  I have absolutely no regrets!

1 comment:

Jeff Barrier said...

One is too many, ten is not enough. Just ask your cousin LB. ;-)

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...